WASH & BCC Coordinator
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH and Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) projects. Assess WASH & BCC needs, design projects, contribute to proposal writing and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in WASH & BCC delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train WASH & BCC staff.
To reduce the morbidity and mortality of displaced populations and acutely vulnerable host communities in South Sudan through the provision of emergency nutrition, health and WASH services in in Aweil Centre County. The BCC component of the project supports behaviour-change communication (BCC) activities in three sectors- health, nutrition and WASH.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aweil, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
September 2019. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
General WASH and BCC Management
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project and BCC activities, working to ensure positive outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and WASH/BCC staff.
- Develop an appropriate and effective WASH and BCC strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for WASH and BCC activities in consultation with other project staff and field managers, WASH advisor, Health and Nutrition PMs in Aweil centre, Health Advisor, Nutrition Advisor and BCC Specialist.
- Manage the quality construction of all infrastructures, ensuring maintenance and sustainability.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted with reports being made.
- Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation.
- Support the implementation of the Care Group Model by providing technical, logistical, and administrative support to the BCC Manager and Officers, and support the set-up of the CGM in new locations.
- Manage and oversee recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, of the WASH and construction technician and BCC staff.
- Hold monthly team meetings with the WASH& BCC teams, review objectives, inform them of issues relevant to their work and provide feedback and ensure they receive coaching and training.
- Promote the health and security of the teams by developing and ensuring compliance to security guidelines in the workplace and ensuring healthy living conditions and practices are being followed.
- Implement various proposals in line with specifications and details of the proposal, in a timely manner, while ensuring quality is maintained, and reporting is done as required.
Coordination and Reporting
- Coordinate with relevant NGOs involved in WASH or BCC activities, UN agencies and government WASH offices (Rural and Urban Water) or other government agencies involved in WASH planning.
- Liaise with local authorities at the beginning of assessments and activities, and throughout WASH and BCC activities as appropriate.
- Provide regular feedback to the Project Coordinator, PMs and Sector Advisors and work in line with received guidance, parameters and direction from PC.
- Track beneficiary numbers and activities completed each month to aid in donor reporting.
Logistics and finance
- Plan, develop and manage budgets for the assigned projects.
- Liaise with sector PMs and PC regarding the budget for BCC activities.
- Coordinate and oversee cash requirements of the assigned teams and activities.
- Develop projects specific handling of field depot in order to better track movement of goods.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular and supportive communication structures with teams and stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, WASH cluster, UN agencies, etc.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to current operations including national, and international standards donor guidelines and other best practices.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Arabic desirable.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing water, sanitation and hygiene projects.
- Knowledge and experience of behavior change communication activities.
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells, waste management in facilities) and software/training.
- Understanding and appreciation of the links between the hardware and behaviour change.
- Able to prioritise tasks appropriately. Able to enforce policies.
- Desire to contribute to the team and foster unity.