Talent Development Advisor
As a key player in the HR Specialists Team, the Talent Development Advisor is responsible for shaping and implementing Medair’s Talent Development & Management strategy, to develop and retain talented employees. Responsibilities include: designing skills matrix, contributing to embedding a robust performance development and management practice and culture, building talent pipelines and succession plans, crafting an internal promotion process and a people review process.
The Talent Development Advisor leads the design and deployment of new processes, policies and tools that align with our hiring needs and organisation’s objectives, in collaboration with HR Partners, HR country representatives and other HR functions.
Medair GSO provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Medair’s global HR function supports the organisation in the implementation of world class humanitarian aid projects by ensuring that the organisation has adequate systems and structures to efficiently recruit and retain the right people. The HR function is also working on impacting Medair’s culture by creating and sustaining a work environment where our values are fully alive and staff is being cared for through a “people to people” model.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based in Nairobi, Kenya. Permanent residency in Nairobi required.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
January 2020. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Talent Management Strategy
- Shape and implement Medair’s Development management strategy, together with the Recruitment Team Leader, L&D Advisor, HR Partners and HR Country Representatives.
- Define new processes, create tools, train and coach HR, leaders and staff based on operations needs.
Talent Management Review
- Define the Talent Development review process (Performance, Development and Talent review).
- Set, lead and communicate on the yearly Talent Development cycle’s agenda.
- Create adequate tools for leaders and employees to perform reviews and update regularly.
- Provide supporting materials to coach and train leaders and employees on Talent Development cycle.
- Collaborate with the Learning & Development Advisor to strengthen leaders’ competency to assess staff performance and support staff development.
- Set up an internal promotion policy and make sure Talent Development is being deployed.
- Create a standard skill matrix to assess staff competencies.
- Support adaptation of skill matrix to functions and leadership levels.
- Coach and train HR Partners and HR Country representatives on implementation of the skill matrix.
- Collaborate with Learning & Development Advisor to identify key skills trainings.
- Define the criteria and the process for identifying internal talent.
- Coach HR Partners, HR Country representatives and leaders to identify and assess internal talent.
- Collaborate with HR Partners and HR Country representatives to build talent pipelines per function and country. Lead regular talent reviews. Support the Recruitment team in promoting internal talent.
- Set up the process for identifying key positions per function and per country.
- Collaborate with HR Partners and HR Country representatives to build a succession plan.
- Review succession plans and internal talent to fit the needs of the organisation.
- Support the Recruitment team in promoting internal talent through succession plans.
- Collaborate with Learning & Development Advisor, HR Partners and HR Country representatives to identify career paths. Create and develop the tools to build career paths.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor the Talent Development process through HRIS and take actions to meet the objectives.
- Provide regular metrics and analysis on statistics related to the Talent Development cycle.
- Design and continually improve on key processes, policies, procedures and information systems, through problem solving and new initiatives, in collaboration with the HRD and stakeholders.
- Lead and collaborate on assigned HR projects, track progress and deliver outputs on schedule.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor degree in HR, or equivalent education, MSc in HR is desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- 3-5 years of experience in HR position with experience in performance management procedures, sourcing and recruitment process, learning and development program implementation.
- Experience working in an international organization, working in multi-national cross-cultural environment.
- Talent Management or Learning and Development.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft office Environment, working experience with an HRIS is a plus.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, planning and problem solving skills. Project Management skills.
- Ability to provide coaching. Sensitive to intercultural teams. Leadership ability.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).