Shelter – WASH Project Manager
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training WASH staff.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. In addition, it is anticipated that there will be an increase in shelter programming in 2019. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme; collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kirkuk, Iraq.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
April 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage the WASH and Shelter project(s) in Kirkuk and SAD governorate, and potentially other locations, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH and shelter staff.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for WASH and shelter activities in collaboration with the WASH and shelter staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH and shelter activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, WASH strategy and shelter strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the staff, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision for staff in order to develop ownership.
- Manage the WASH and shelter budgets for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH and shelter team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH and shelter managers and advisers and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and shelter coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH and shelter staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH and shelter staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned WASH and shelter activities.
- Ensure procurements plans are developed for each project in coordination with the PSM or LM.
- Ensure WASH and shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a WASH context. Management and experience implementing shelter programming. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.