Project Manager – Protection
Plan, implement and evaluate the assigned projects. This includes designing projects, managing and reporting against objectives, timeframe and budget, and contributing to the writing of proposals. You will lead and manage your team, promoting the development of your staff and building their capacity.
This work targets the most vulnerable Syrian and Jordanian refugees residing in Jordan. It currently comprises a multi-year project that focuses on a targeted number of beneficiaries and addresses their barriers to accessing basic needs through comprehensive multi-sectoral case management. The case management approach is used to select families, assess their needs, generate case plans and ensure their basic needs are met through cash assistance and the provision of or referrals to other key services, including in health care, mental health and psycho-social support, legal status repair, shelter and education. For the services that will not be provided by Medair but referred externally, a strong collaboration and partnership element with local CBOs, NGOs and authorities is built into the project.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Jordan, Amman.
Working and living conditions are good with high living standards and with highly trained staff.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 1 year.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage and report on projects in order to meet the project objectives in line with the proposal, log frame and budget and within the allotted time frame. Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local staff.
- Develop ideas that meet beneficiary needs and reduce tensions between different communities.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for case management activities.
- Monitor activities, overseeing the technical design, and execution and evaluating progress.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Control closely the data collected from beneficiaries, Medair’s selection of households and the tracking of cash payments to beneficiaries in accordance with the bank. Ensure systems regarding database management and security are in place and maintained.
- Hire and line-manage the staff of the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop regular and supportive communication structures to ensure good cooperation.
- Participate in the Protection, Basic Needs, Durable Solutions Working groups meetings and other working groups or coordination meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to staff on relevant issues.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in a relevant subject, such as International Affairs, Law, Social Work or closely related fields.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- At least 2 years’ experience managing protection programming and staff in a humanitarian setting.
- At least 2 years’ experience in planning and facilitating humanitarian protection activities.
- Knowledge of standards in protection programming (including Child Protection and SGBV). Knowledge of the needs of refugees living in a host community. Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and other international humanitarian protocols.
- Experience working with UNHCR coordination structures (including the use of RAIS).
- Experience in the design, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of protection activities.
- Experience in training, mentoring or coaching staff.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building, as well as for networking with other agencies, such as CBOs, NGOs and local authorities.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues.
- Able to prioritize clearly and oversee multiple tasks, to solve problems creatively and innovatively.
- Ability to manage project implementation. Strong M&E skills.
- Passionate about serving the poor. Self-motivated with a strong commitment.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Willingness to support others and to share workload.