Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned project(s), with support from sector advisors. Develop, lead implementation and ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation for effective management and reporting on the project activities in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on system strengthening, training and coordination. Provide technical support and leadership, manage and train project staff to meet quality standards, anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new project proposals and reports.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, is currently multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local partnerships.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Central Highlands, Afghanistan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, short-term contract of 3 to 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local staff.
- Continuously monitor and supervise activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the project teams (and where applicable local authorities) in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Ensures close collaboration among the different sector teams relevant to the project in order to achieve seamless integration in implementation and results.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective nutrition, WASH, and Food Security strategies including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Ensure progress on clear objectives and indicators.
- Line-manage the Nutrition Manager, BCC Manager, WASH and Food Security Manager including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, ensuring staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching to managers in project cycle, data collection, reporting and budget management and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for project activities. Ensure staff receive adequate technical supervision.
- Assess the training needs of staff and ensure that appropriate technical training is conducted.
- Manage the budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the project staff and on relevant issues.
- Develop the procurement plan and ensure purchase requests are submitted in a timely manner to maintain project activities.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/ community-based training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year experience working in a multi-sector programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of CMAM programmes desirable; Experience working in an insecure environment desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health, WASH, and/or food security principles and management.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building; team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Ability to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.