Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Provide leadership, security management, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair project, also play a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair’s goal in Aweil Centre is to reduce morbidity and mortality to vulnerable IDP and host populations primarily through CMAM provision, with elements of health care and WASH services.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aweil, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
May 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with the relevant Project Manager(s) and in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions should the need arise. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop, in consultation with the other senior field managers, an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Plan, construct and monitor the spending of the budgets in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Deputy Country Director.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc. If applicable, work with the relevant Project Manager(s)/Project Support Manager and in coordination with the human resource department.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor, review and analyse the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as appropriate with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with Medair procedures and guidelines. Provide support to the Project Support teams through supervision, training and coaching as necessary.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at HQ regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good negotiation, report and proposal writing skills. Excellent communication skills. Problem solving ability.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.