Manage the implementation and coordination of the project “Rano Velo” and be responsible to develop a broader regional strategy to Medair in Southern Madagascar for 2019-2020. The PC provides leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects in Southern Madagascar, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security management.
In 2018 Medair launched a WASH project MDG120 “Rano Velo” in Beloha District. This WASH project will serve over 9 000 beneficiaries providing up to 18 new water points. In addition to this project which is ending in 2019, Medair is planning to respond to the prolonged humanitarian crisis in southern Madagascar.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beloha district, Madagascar.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Oversee the overall implementation of MDG 120 in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken in time.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Develop regional strategy for future Medair interventions in Southern Madagascar and help CD and M & R coordinator to fundraise for this strategy in 2019-2020.
- Support the project Managers, PSM & RDS in day-to-day decision making as requested.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers, etc.
- Ensure all relevant documents are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations. Monitor reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, training, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of MDG 120 by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Supervise PM and PSM at Beloha field base to ensure that both project and support units work together to archive project results and quality humanitarian interventions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in Management; Development Studies; Business Administration, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Malagasy Desirable.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 3 years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession preferably in a relief environment.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner. Team-player but also able to work independently.