Programme Support Manager
Coordinate and manage the main support functions including general administration, finance, human resources, and logistics. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles the Program Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Syria, Medair’s programme in Jordan is delivering emergency assistance to refugees in non-camp settings and vulnerable host communities in northern Jordan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Amman, Jordan
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Programme Support Management
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the Jordan programme as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with the programme teams.
- Supervise all financial activities (cash management, deadlines and audit requirements).
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed
- Line managing the Human Resources Officer, oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to.
- Engage in Medair wide HR developments, including overseeing the implementing of the new HR Information System.
- Line managing the Senior Logistics Officer, provide logistical support to programme staff (supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff).
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
- Provide support in the most efficient manner possible to all Medair programmes present in Jordan.
- Supervise the Finance Manager to oversee budget management and expenditure for support and shared costs, ensuring budgets are spent according to proposals and within the time frame.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/Development Studies/Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Ability to speak, or willingness to learn, Arabic.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 5 years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coaching and training skills.
- Good understanding of cross-cultural issues.
- Excellent communicator. Problem solving ability. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Dynamic and mature personality, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Strong leadership skills. Consultative management style. Accountable decision maker.
- Team-player but also able to work independently. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.