Programme Support Manager
Coordinate and manage the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles the Program Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders. Assisting the Country Director in providing leadership and strategic direction, this position will play a key role in representation, legal compliance and programme leadership.
Medair began working in Bangladesh, in partnership with World Concern, in response to the 2017 influx of Rohingya refugees. Working in the sectors of Health, Nutrition and Shelter in the Kutupalong Mega Camp, the programme has transitioned from emergency response, to addressing ongoing humanitarian needs amongst the displaced population. In 2019, the programme is set to expand in its Nutrition services and Shelter programme. The PrSM will play an important role in coordinating support functions both within Medair, between Medair and World Concern, and with the local authorities.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with the programme teams supporting programme strategy through the support functions.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc. – Obtain relevant acts from authorities.
- Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, storage and transportation.
- Supervise the budget management and expenditure for support and shared costs, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations, Government regulations, partner NGO policies.
- Monitor and advise on programme spending, ensuring relevant guidelines and procedures and being followed and that systems are in place for the prevention and detection of possible fraud.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Analyse expenditure and ensure cashflow is managed through legal mechanisms, in coordination with partner agencies, donors, Government agencies.
- Support CD in overall security management and coordination.
- Provide cover in absence of CD, which will largely include representation, briefings for visitors or new IRS and initial response to any incidents that may occur.
- Oversee the Security Management System adopted by the programme and the implementation of its respective parts, making suggestion and implementing improvements.
- Support the consolidation of existing and develop new security related standard operating procedures.
- Be a key member of the Field Crisis Management Team, help develop and regularly review the crisis management plan, review documents and equipment to support crisis management.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development; develop direct reports and assist other managers to improve their knowledge, competence and performance.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
Communication & Coordination
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and support functions in Kabul.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local partners and authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject. Demonstrated understanding of NGO and programme finance.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian context.
- Advanced planning and analytical skills, as well as good numerical and report writing skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop, coach and support other team members.
- Strong programme finance skills. Problem solving ability and excellent communication skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).