Programme Support Manager
Coordinate and manage the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles the Program Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders. Assisting the Country Director in providing leadership and strategic direction, this position will play a key role in representation, legal compliance and programme leadership.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996 and implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local partnerships.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
October 2019. Full time, minimum 12 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with the programme teams supporting programme strategy through the support functions.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
- Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
- Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
- Supervise the budget management and expenditure for support and shared costs, in collaboration with field managers and GSO staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate time frame.
- Monitor programme spending, ensuring relevant guidelines and procedures and being followed and that systems are in place for the prevention and detection of possible fraud.
- Support CD in overall security management and coordination.
- Provide cover in absence of CD, which will largely include representation, briefings for visitors or new IRS and initial response to any incidents that may occur.
- Oversee the Security Management System adopted by the programme and the implementation of its respective parts, making suggestion and implementing improvements.
- Support the consolidation of existing and develop new security related standard operating procedures.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development; develop direct reports and assist other managers to improve their knowledge, competence and performance.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times, especially when interacting with team members and provide leadership, advice and support as needed.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and support functions in Kabul.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- In conjunction with relevant manager’s review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/ Development Studies/ Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 1 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian context.
- Advanced planning and analytical skills, as well as good numerical and report writing skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop, coach and support other team members.
- Problem solving ability and excellent communication skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.