Nutrition Project Manager
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned nutrition project(s), effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on nutrition system strengthening, training and coordination. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; manage and train nutrition staff to meet quality standards in nutrition delivery; encourage beneficiary participation, and anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new nutrition project proposals.
To reduce the morbidity and mortality of displaced populations and acutely vulnerable host communities in South Sudan through the provision of emergency nutrition and health services in Aweil Centre County. In Aweil Centre County, Medair is currently serving women and children through nutrition and health services in 15 clinic sites and a behaviour change communication programme using the care group model.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aweil, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
April 2019. Full time, minimum 12 – 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Management, SCOPE-CODA Focal Point
- Manage project to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns to line manager and Country Nutrition Advisor.
- Contribute to development and implementation of nutrition strategy including exit planning.
- Supervise the activities linked to the pilot of the WFP web-based registration system SCOPE-CODA.
- Develop new proposals. Set clear objectives and indicators for nutrition activities.
- Input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
Behaviour Change Communication Focal Point
- Continuously monitor and supervise BCC activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Recruit the required project staff in line with Medair’s and South Sudan recruitment policy.
- Line-manage assigned staff, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals.
- Link with the Health PM and WASH Focal Point to support the Medair team objectives as a whole.
- Provide coaching / technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Identify areas of development among assigned project staff, develop capacity building plans.
- Discuss, agree on and set SMART performance objectives target for assigned staff.
Nutrition Programme Reporting
- Submit timely and quality internal and external project reports.
- Submit the necessary data and information to the in-country Advisor to submit periodic donor reports.
Financial Management and Logistics
- Manage the nutrition budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget.
- Authorisation of expenditure on applicable budget lines up to 5,000 USD.
- Ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure timely request and delivery of nutrition Programme therapeutic and therapeutic supplies from state level Gift In Kind donors (UNICEF and WFP).
- Develop strategies to track and account for therapeutic supplies in order to prevent stock outs.
- Timely communicate breaks in GIK pipeline to explore alternative means of acquiring the supplies.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop communication structures with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in nutrition coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings and other working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to the nutrition staff and field managers.
Monitoring & Evaluation/Quality Management
- Participate in internal workshops to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
- Provide the necessary support to nutrition project implementing staff to adhere to the nationally approved CMAM and MIYCN guidelines governing nutrition programme service delivery and reporting.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Undertake bi-weekly nutrition clinic visits and complete the site monitoring checklist.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing / midwifery / medical doctor / community-based training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in Nutrition / Health / BCC.
- At least 2 years management experience in nutrition in developing country.
- Management experience in a nutrition / health context; Experience training staff.
- Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health care principles and management.
- Knowledge or experience implementing BCC projects specifically participatory mothers groups including IYCF in emergencies desirable; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.