Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Advisor
Provide technical advice and support to the health field teams and to other multi-sector staff across different project sites. Responsible to develop mental health and psychosocial support materials for pilot, testing and implementation through Medair Primary Health Care (PHC) and Psychosocial Support programme. Coordination at a senior level, with MHPSS co-ordinating bodies e.g. the MHPSS Working Group, as well as other NGOs. Lead on all MHPSS elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff and promote best practice in all programmes.
Medair implements multi-sector programmes in Kirkuk, Salah al Din, Ninewa and Dohuk governorates, providing health including MHPSS, WASH, shelter/NFI and cash support for vulnerable communities both in and out of camp settings.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Erbil, Iraq with regular travel to field sites.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
MHPSS Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the MHPSS programme and the national and regional context, with a view to strategically developing projects in current sites and/or surrounding regions.
- Provide technical advice to health staff, advisor, PMs, managers, field staff and HQ on potential involvement in new psychosocial support interventions.
- Define appropriate policies, guidelines, training, tools and protocols for MHPSS.
- Provide technical support to the health and psychosocial support staff in each team. Write MHPSS sections of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Work with all field teams to plan for and implement training on MHPSS, including but not limited to: mhGAP, supportive communication, Psychological First Aid (PFA).
- Link with national health and protection clusters, MHPSS and GBV working groups.
- Carry out regular supervision visits in conjunction with health PMs, ensuring that objectives are met within project timeframes and in accordance with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of M&E for psychosocial support (both qualitative and quantitative) with follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Maintain an overview of the MHPSS aspects within the country programmes and of the regional context, with a view to strategically integrate MHPSS in current programming and support developing new projects in current sites and/or surrounding areas.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation.
- Seek out relevant networks or task groups on specific MHPSS related humanitarian aid issues and actively participate, if possible.
- Accompany donors on field trips, as requested, and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Represent Medair, as appropriate, at national mental health platforms, MHPSS working group, coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, with national and/or local government departments and any other relevant meetings or events, facilitating close coordination, links with partners programming in similar project areas and avoiding duplication with other partners.
- Be involved in the recruitment of psychosocial support staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
- Ensure that all psychosocial support staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
- Plan and develop training material as required with support from Sr. MHPSS advisor at GSO as needed.
- Work with the relevant IRQ Erbil, field managers and GSO staff to give input to MHPSS activities in project budgets.
- Ensure activities are integrated in existing projects and implemented in line with donor requirements.
- Provide feedback on the quality of MHPSS interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Review resources on Iraq box folders to ensure up to date, validated resources available and shared across project sites. Ensure all health staff have access to appropriate information as required.
- Attend Medair yearly health and nutrition workshop as well as regular online meetings with GSO MHPSS Advisor to keep up to date on recommendations and guidelines for MHPSS integration.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology or related mental health field, social work or psychiatric nursing.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- At least 3 years experience in managing programmes related to mental health and psychosocial support, with at least 2 years managing psychosocial programmes in humanitarian emergency context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of psychosocial support programmes. Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere, IASC and other international humanitarian guidelines.
- Planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent communication skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Committed to consultative leadership.