Logistics Officer – Middle East Focus
Switzerland Global Support Office
Provide advice, support & coaching for the countries to manage of all program logistics; support the the countries logistics for the management of the end to end supply chain. This role is key to help programmes deliver goods to the most vulnerable people. You carry regular field visits to assess the quality and performance of logistics and provide an action plan for improvements. This advisor role will support the field with daily queries and proposal management.
Part of the Global Support Office logistics department, you work under the International Logistics Manager.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Workplace & Conditions
This is Global Support Office based position in Lausanne Switzerland, with up to 30% travel.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible, Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Advisor- Support the countries as Logistics advisor in their requests to daily queries.
- Ensure procurement planning is in place for all countries. Oversee the implementation of and compliance with Medair logistics procedures, and management tools; propose improvements.
- Contribute to and validate the logistics component of proposals, budgets and project reports.
- Follow developments and changes in donor procedures, requirements, and guidelines.
- Develop, organize and give training to logistics staff and in the yearly global logistics workshop.
- Carry out field visits and assess adherence to logistics procedures, identify possible areas for improvement, develop and implement changed and new procedures where needed.
- Contribute to improvements in Medair’s logistics processes and tools.
- Cover for short term field positions when they are gaps.
- Participate in new country logistics requirements (develop supply chain, open/close base, fraud prevention plan, market assessment).
- Support the countries during audits and review the large procurement documentation to make sure they are compliant with procedures.
- Train & coach the LM in country and review the large procurement for the region.
- Trained to be deployable (as logistician) to emergency responses with the global emergency team.
Business Process Expert
- Act as the BPE (Business Process Expert) for “stock process” within Medair; Ensuring policies and procedures are developed, improved and kept up-to-date, serve as a reference point for questions, information, and training.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, humanitarian logistics or a related field. Certification in procurement would be desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Arabic would be a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Medair procedures and operations (preferred).
- Minimum 2-year relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context at a coordination level, procedure & operations.
- At ease with supply chain software and management, ability to provide easy support in the tool.
- Supportive mindset with ability to coach & train in-country
- Strong procurement and E2E Supply Chain experience in the humanitarian.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to create procurement plan, action plan for improvement.
- Processes and procedures understanding and implementations. (specifically procurement).
- Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment as well as training competency.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and oversee multiple tasks.
- Excellent project management skills and strong leadership to lead cross-functional
- Ability to oversee and contribute to the supply chain part of proposal and end of grant report.
- Prepared to undertake extensive field travel to country programmes for deployments; and willing to work in remote, basic conditions and insecure locations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
Behavioral skills, Adaptability
- Analytical mind with humanitarian experience.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with different countries & local staff.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
- Prepared to undertake extensive field travel to country programmes for deployments; and willing to work in remote and insecure locations.
Management and leadership
- Strong leadership and leading project management skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organizations, other international NGO’s and local authorities worldwide.