Health Manager, Renk
Improve the overall health situation of the target population, implementing quality health services and contributing to the achievement of proposal objectives within the planned timescale and budget, for the areas of responsibility within the health project. Build the capacity of the local health team by providing appropriate and relevant supervision, training and technical support; contributing to monitoring and reporting on project progress; and liaising with community leaders and health officials as requested.
Medair’s goal in the former Renk County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable displaced and host populations through the provision of emergency WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene), healthcare, and nutrition services. To accomplish this, Medair works in Abayok and Wunthou camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) providing primary healthcare and outpatient nutrition services. In Abayok Medair provides 24 hour skilled delivery in Abayok and Stabilization Centre inpatient nutrition care. Medair is implementing integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) in remote villages where access to healthcare is difficult, and has set up Care Groups through which behavioural change communication messages are cascaded to the community.
Workplace & Conditions
Renk, South Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
March 2019. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health & Nutrition Management
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned health project(s) in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
- Conduct daily field trips to clinics and other health and nutrition facilities for support and supervision.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to field managers.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation/accountability in the project.
- Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Oversee the health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development, appraisals.
- Assist to facilitate regular team meetings, reviewing objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Ensure the assigned health team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned health team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication structures with the teams.
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of all necessary medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health facilities and activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor).
- Certificate / diploma in Public Health or Tropical Medicine desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols desirable.
- Competent with statistical database such as EPI Info, SPSS or STATA desirable.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks. Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.