Global Communications Manager
Switzerland Global Support Office
Lead Medair in engaging with 1 million people with a focus on Alumni/Job seekers, Christian and Church, Millennials and Humanitarian Media communities. Lead and manage the Global Communications (GC) team, including managing daily operations to ensure mutual alignment and peer-support, and leading through well-defined objectives and innovative approaches to seek greater reach. Support the CEO in implementing and reviewing Medair’s Global Communications framework, strategy, and plans.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. The Global Communications Team (GC) focuses on engaging people, both internally and externally, through digital platforms, media, videos, social media, advertisements, and events. The Global Communications team works to increase levels of awareness, drive engagement of key audiences to Medair, providing dynamic and accessible channels for them to GO, PRAY and GIVE.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland. Some field travel and travel within Switzerland will be required.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
December 2019. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Staff Management & Empowerment
- Ensure that team members reach their maximum potential in delivering strategic goals to engage following communities: Alumni, jobseekers and current staff, Christian and church communities, Media and humanitarian community, Medairlives video millennia community.
- Manage the team in setting plans and goals within the context of the Medair organisational strategy and the GC framework and ensure good coordination and alignment between activities and content.
- Ensure that all aspects of the team’s work are evaluated against clear objectives. Help keep the team focused and on track. Ensure deliverables meet the project requirements, cost, and schedule.
- Coach and help develop team members; assure that team members have the necessary skills and training to effectively participate on the team and deliver their objectives.
- Define and manage the annual GC communication budget as necessary to reach defined objectives.
Strategic Planning and Management
- Drive, coordinate and review the integration and alignment of strategic plans and objectives (press & media, digital marketing, field resources, church engagement, corporate comms and branding).
- Actively collaborate with colleagues in Medair affiliate offices, supporting them with core resources and services, and finding ways to increase synergies.
- Work with the Engagement Team Manager to ensure that comm activities support their strategy.
- Provide the CEO with regular review and progress reports on Medair strategic priorities.
- Connect with Medair key audiences and deepen knowledge on needs, wants etc.
- Analyze content strategies and tools employed by similar organizations. Be aware of marketing and fundraising trends in Switzerland.
- Create and implement strategy for connecting with Medair audience through different channels (website, email, social media, video series MedairLives, events, churches, offline and online advertising, etc.).
- Manage incoming content requests from other teams and assign to relevant team member, and approve dissemination and publication on relevant channels.
- Organize brainstorm sessions at the start of campaigns. Coordinate the creation of copy, design, and video needs for each project. Manage freelancers for specific copy, design or video needs.
Innovation, change management and flexibility
- The jobholder will lead innovation in our global comms to reach new people and communities.
- Help Medair to communicate with one voice, in a clear, concise and modern manner.
- Help Medair to be a front runner in new innovative ways of communications.
- Continue to improve the website with the most advanced methods, and engagement options.
- Allow the website, e-mailings and video content to also be used for Medair’s Social Media outreach, so that it results in more people engaged and further entering our funnel.
- As Medair is moving in an ever changing context and environment, the job holder is expected to be flexible, agile and willing to take on any new, adjusted or additional activities on, as appropriate and required for achieving the mission.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate degree in degree in Communications, Fundraising, Marketing or equivalent job experience. Major or degree in NGO management an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). German an asset.
- Minimum 3 years management experience in Communications, Marketing or equivalent area.
- Overseas field experience an asset.
- Excellent communication skills, passionate about storytelling. Strong project management skills.
- Good time-management skills, able to define or focus and deliver according to set targets. Ability to plan ahead, execute, monitor and review objectives.
- Competent with Office365 tools. Familiar with online task management tools (Jira, Trello, Box, etc.)
- Familiar with social media platforms and website tools. WordPress/HTML knowledge an asset.
- Be agile, quick and adjusting constantly to the changes taking place in and outside the organisation.
- Deliver team leadership to ensure a culture of competence, professionalism, autonomy and efficiency.
- Provide guidance, expertise, support; share information internally; provide training when needed.
- Ability to plan ahead and review people’s performance and objectives.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
- Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).