Oversee the financial activities of the programme. The Finance Manager carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, GSO, field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Syria, Medair’s programme in Jordan is delivering emergency assistance to refugees in non-camp settings and vulnerable host communities in northern Jordan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Amman, Jordan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage the day-to-day accounting functions of the programme.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed as part of internal control monitoring.
- Prepare and develop budgets for projects and shared costs.
- Contribute to the financial management of signed donor grants in the preparation and submission of new donor proposal.
- Prepare and deliver financial activity reports within the required timeframe (e.g. monthly, interim, final) and in the stated format in order to meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, GSO or other bodies.
- Country Programme focal point for IRS and NRS staff Labour report (LR) monthly exercise. Gathering all signed LR templates from each FO in the field locations every month. Check it for consistency, consolidated it and send it to the PFO at GSO.
- Understanding complex co-funding constructions for different projects and ensure correct fund-coding of expenditures related to this.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and subsequently paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Help with reporting to donors, providing documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies.
- Organise and further develop the processes required for the financial aspects of the programme to function effectively.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all financial transaction, that records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair internal archiving policies and meet donor requirements.
- To support GSO with donor reports and prepare financial reports for donors and ensure with the PFM that they align with the narrative reports.
- Keep track of ATM card recharges, reconcile the card numbers and manage the staff participating in ATM card distributions.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Provide training, advice, mentoring and coaching as required to all relevant staff on financial management, procedures, internal controls and financial requirements of donors.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part 2 (or equivalent).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least two years.
- Good understanding of humanitarian issues.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Excellent attention to detail. Good document writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels. Problem solving ability.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.