Emergency Shelter Advisor
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the shelter staff. On a day-to-day basis this involves developing, leading, monitoring and evaluating the shelter aspects of the country programme. It will include coordinating and networking at a senior level with national and regional authorities and other NGOs, providing capacity building for national and international staff, championing best practice (international and Medair) in the shelter programmes and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is responding to the September 2018 Earthquake, Tsunami and Liquefaction in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, through its partnerships with local implementing organisations. As emergency response transitions into recovery, Medair is planning a shelter recovery programme, which may involve a cash component, to begin in the coming months.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 to 9 months.
Key Activity Areas
Shelter Project Management
- Maintain an overview of the country shelter programme and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and / or in surrounding regions.
- Give technical advice to field managers and GSO on potential involvement in new shelter interventions and internal shelter capacity for implementation.
- Define policies, guidelines and protocols for the shelter aspects of Medair’s work in country.
- Provide technical support to the shelter teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met within the time-frames.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of shelter supplies ordered for the shelter projects, supporting the shelter and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of shelter supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Responsible for the quality of all shelter and reconstruction projects in-country.
- Develop and maintain relationships with UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Participate at networks or task groups on specific shelter-related humanitarian aid issues and actively.
- Accompany donors on field trips, and ensure programme details are transmitted on time.
- Represent Medair, at coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, working groups, with national and / or local government departments and any other relevant meetings or events, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the shelter sector.
- Be involved in the recruitment of shelter staff, providing advice on technical skills and experience.
- Ensure that all shelter staff are trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material as required.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of shelter staff, particularly for technical skills.
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct shelter budgets.
- Ensure the shelter project expenditure is in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under / over spend and recommending appropriate corrective action.
- Ensure shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of shelter programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Maintain a resource library for the shelter team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure all shelter staff have access to necessary and appropriate information.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- BSc / BEng in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Relevant post-qualification professional experience, in a management position
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent communication skills.
- Advanced project management skills. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.