Deputy Medical Advisor
Support the Medical Advisor and to speed up proposals, having reviewed and updated SOPs, log frames, budgets and so on for the sector.
Emergency health and nutrition projects target displaced, conflict affected and vulnerable populations in regions that are in crisis in DRC as well as those affected by disease outbreaks. WASH interventions in health centres and communities support the health and nutrition sector as part of our health emergency responses. Infrastructure supports humanitarian access to remote areas.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Direct Project Support
- Participate in harmonising and standardising budgets across bases and projects.
- Analyse, on a quarterly base, the projects’ budget burn rate to avoid under or over spending, especially on beneficiary lines; share report with Managers, Projects Coordinator, Advisor and DCDP.
- Participate in creating a Rapid Response global Framework for Medair Congo.
- Participate in creating logframes for new projects in collaboration with the Health Advisor.
- Write various Standard Operational Procedures as needed by Project Managers and Project Coordinators in collaboration with the Health Advisor.
- Participate in improving assessment tools and in creating automatic analysis tools to facilitate the writing of assessment reports.
- Perform literature reviews on some technical topics as needed by projects in collaboration with the Health Advisor.
- Coordinate some field research in collaboration with the Health Advisor.
- Perform trainings for project teams in collaboration with project managers and Health Advisor.
- Participate in internal workshops.
- Support the recruitment process of new project staff (correcting written tests, being part of recruitment interview panels).
- Represent Medair in some technical committees and clusters meetings in assigned locations.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate Degree in public health or community health.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 1 year of experience managing a humanitarian health/nutrition project.
- Experience in managing and promoting staff Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Proficient with Excel.
- Up to date on emergency health and nutrition strategies used in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proven ability to work with people from a range of cultural, social, ethnic backgrounds and with different skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Confident decision maker. Committed to consultative working culture.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and to prioritise clearly. Pro-active approach.
- Excellent communication skills. Problem solver, dynamic, mature.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.