Deputy Country Director
Manage the development and implementation of the support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country programme strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the support functions, the Deputy Country Director also plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance and team leadership.
In response to the on-going crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi Internally displaced people (IDP), returnees and host communities with project locations in Sinjar, Mosul and Kirkuk. The projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and WASH Assistance with a strong emphasis on Cash-based interventions and integrated psychosocial programming.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Erbil, Iraq.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Assisting the Country Director with the identification and design of future projects.
- Assisting the programmes teams with donor reports and proposals.
- Provide coaching support to project managers to ensure high quality implementation of programmes.
- Review monthly project reports to monitor progress of programme implementation for Duhok.
- Lead on the development of cross cutting themes in project design and implementation.
Programme Support Management
- Support managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management.
- Prepare and implement policies, to enhance the smooth running of the programmes.
- Ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including registration, insurance, work permits, etc.
- Represent Medair at relevant meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs.
- Supervise the budget management and expenditure for support and shared costs, in collaboration with field managers and HQ staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate time frame.
- Monitor programme spending, ensuring relevant guidelines and procedures and being followed and that systems are in place for the prevention and detection of possible fraud.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Cover for the country director as and when necessary.
- Assist other managers in their line management responsibilities, including recruitment, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, and deputise for them during periods of absence.
- Facilitate regular team meetings for managers through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times and especially when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice and support.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Ensure staff members and visitors receive briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for base and project locations.
- Assist the Country Director in managing security incidents, as required.
- Ensure timely gathering and analysis of security information through the Security Officer in Erbil and communication of information to key staff members as relevant.
- Maintain a transparent communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop positive relationships with local authorities, and any other stakeholders, representing Medair.
- Supervise the Monitoring & Evaluation manager and ensure adequate roll out of Information Management systems within programmes through the IM team.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and prevent loss or fraud.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- At least 1 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Good knowledge of UN and other humanitarian actors and of current humanitarian debates and issues.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Advanced leadership and management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, coaching and training skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.