Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996 and is implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas, as well as growing and strengthening local relationships.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
February 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation and the surrounding region in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives.
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations, including in-country registration.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, churches, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities.
- Ensure that the Engagement Department receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising activities. Ensure that timely programme reports are updated and submitted to GSO.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that relevant staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, capability disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs, implementing corrective actions as required.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 1 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian programmes.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Experience of representation at national and local levels.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).