Communications & Programme Funding Officer
Provide and facilitate relevant and timely information for Medair’s communication and fundraising activities. The Communications & Programme Funding Officer also supports internal and external communications of the country programme, as needed.
Emergency health projects, including the Ebola response, targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in regions that are in crisis in DRC. WASH interventions in communities and support of health centres are part of our health emergency responses. We try facilitating humanitarian access to remote areas.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, with 40-60% of time spent visiting other field bases. Part of Medair DRC’s External Relations team, reporting to the Communications & Programme Funding Manager.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Marketing & Relationships and Affiliate Resources
- Travel frequently to field sites to pro-actively and reactively gather and pitch resources and updates on programmes and projects.
- Support the Swiss-based Global Communications and Engagement teams by gathering and adapting material for input into CH databases (photos, testimonies, facts, stories, quotes, reports, etc.).
- Manage swift approval at field level of marketing and relationships material before publication.
- Help to prepare, facilitate and accompany field visits of photographers, journalists, or media crews accredited by the CH Global Communications department or Affiliate offices.
- Once a year, be available for training organised by the CH office (one week) and possibly extra weeks to meet and share information in person with the Global Communications and Engagement teams.
Private Donors Relations
- Manage DR Congo’s private grants portfolio, liaising with relevant Swiss and Affiliate office contacts to provide high quality proposals and reports.
- Provide update reports on programmes and projects previously communicated about in campaigns, stories, fund appeals or private major donor proposals.
- Steward relationships with private donors, acting as in-country focal point.
- Lead field visits with private donors, including evaluating opportunities.
Media & Public Relations
- Be aware of and get information about local emergencies, surveys or topics of interest to the media.
- Assist the Communications & Programme Funding Manager to analyse media opportunities, produce press releases, and brief staff ahead of interviews.
Digital Social Media
- Actively facilitate, produce and promote short content updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Establish and hit goals for following and engagement.
- Support CH office in maintaining relationships with online social media followers in answering followers’ questions and comments or in communicating from a Medair field perspective.
- Train and encourage field staff on the appropriate use of online social media. Actively monitor communications initiated by field staff and if necessary propose corrective actions to ensure strong brand reputation.
Internal & External Communication
- Assist field leadership team in external communications by preparing research briefs, and providing supporting documents, presentations, or other resources, as needed.
- Distribute internal newsletters and other communication material among staff in the field, as appropriate.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in Communications, Marketing, or a related field are preferred
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Kiswahili also an advantage.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Minimum 12 months experience in a humanitarian context.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Professional experience in media / communications or private fundraising.
- Able to shoot & edit video – or willingness & ability to learn.
- Experience of proposal-writing. Highly organised with a creative flair and good attention to detail.
- Strong grasp of online social media tools and techniques.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries and local authorities.
- Keen to share information internally and provide training.
- Ability to relate well with many kinds of people, and to establish trust with people.
- Good communicator, able to pass on information efficiently, good listener.
- Strong character traits, including: emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, willingness to travel frequently, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physical fitness.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).